Lab grown diamonds have exponentially grown in popularity in the last year – and it’s obvious why! These diamond alternatives have incredibly desirable properties making them a viable, cost-effective option for your ring.
Are Lab Grown Diamonds the Same as Natural Diamonds?
- In terms of visual, physical and chemical properties, lab grown diamonds and natural diamonds are identical.
- The true difference lies in the origin of the stone.
- Natural diamonds are formed deep within the earth’s crust at extremely high temperatures under intense pressure.
- In contrast, lab grown diamonds are created by replicating these conditions in a lab.
How are Lab Grown Diamonds Made?
- There are two methods used to make lab grown diamonds – High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT) and Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) whereby the diamond is essentially ‘grown’ in the lab.
- The process of making lab grown diamonds is definitively less harmful for the environment when compared with their natural diamond counterparts and therefore can be considered the more ethical and environmentally-friendly choice.
How are Lab Diamonds Graded?
- These diamonds should not be considered as ‘fakes’ or as the equivalent to cubic zirconia as they are even certified in the same manner as naturally occurring diamonds by highly reputable diamond bodies, including the IGI and GIA.
- Like natural diamonds, lab diamonds are graded in accordance with the 4 C’s – cut, colour, clarity and carat.
- Just because these stones are made in a lab, it does not mean that they are free from inclusions, similar to natural diamonds, which is a common misconception.
Why are Lab Diamonds Cheaper Than Natural Diamonds?
- The reason for their substantially lower price is the loss of the expensive mining that comes with natural diamonds and the much shorter supply chain, which greatly benefits the customer.
- Lab grown diamonds are simply the more cost-effective choice and are in no way lacking when compared to natural diamonds.
- For example, for a simple solitaire engagement ring, set with a natural diamond of 0.80ct, F colour, VS2 clarity, IGI certified – this will retail starting at approximately €6,000.
- In comparison, a lab grown diamond of the same spec would come in at around €3,150.
Where can you buy Lab-Grown Diamonds?
- All of our diamond settings can be set with lab grown diamonds in all shapes and sizes.
- We pride ourselves on providing this ethical and high quality stone and lab grown diamonds are fast becoming one of our most popular options as many shoppers seek to get the best stone for their ring.
Pop into us in the Powerscourt Townhouse Dublin to see these beautiful stones in person and to ask our experts for more information regarding these stones – also known as man made diamonds. See here for settings suitable for a lab grown diamond setting.